Thursday, April 16, 2009

What I learned from worms

On Wednesday it was raining pretty hard and as I was walking to class I noticed hundreds and hundreds of earth worms on the street and in the gutter.  I took this picture next to a garbage can where the water in the gutter piled up the earth worms.  I started to think about how this was a bird paradise (I know, weird thought process).  But then I noticed how there wasn't any birds to be found.  I thought "what the heck, this is the perfect time to get a free meal with very little effort."  Then I saw a little robin, the only bird not worried about getting wet.  But alas, he was hunting around the grass to find worms.  I thought, hey you idiot come over to the street there are worms everywhere. 

Eventually I started thinking about how this applies to life.  Often times we are too comfortable to acquire all the blessings around us.  None of the birds wanted to leave their nests, but if they would be willing to get a little rain on their wings they could have the best meal of their life!  Likewise, if we are willing to take time and look around us we will see so many blessings.  I for one don't think about that enough.  Heavenly Father helps those who help themselves.  I once heard someone say "we talk to God on our knees, he talks to us on our feet."  To me that means that when we want answers to our prayers we need to be doing something about it.  Answers come on the go.

That little robin probably had no idea that there were thousands of worms laying helpless on the street because he wasn't willing to go a little out of his way.  I challenge everyone to look for opportunities where they least expect it (sounds like a fortune cookie).  I have been so blessed in my life.  Most of those blessing came from unexpected sources.  But I think more important than looking for opportunities for ourselves we should seek ways to help others.  When I was on my mission and serving people everyday that is when I was the happiest, even when the people didn't appreciate it.  I've recently decided I want to stop being selfish and think of others.  Because "when (we) are in the service of our fellow beings, (we) are only in the service of our God."  

1 Comments:

Ashley said...

thanks for that Marc, it is always nice to be reminded of the blessings in our life so we don't take them for granted.